Toronto – October 5, 2022 – With the start of October, turkey season is upon us, and new industry data reveals just how much Canadians love turkey.
- Canadians consumed 133.3 million kg (Mkg) of turkey in the year 2021.
- Per capita turkey consumption in 2021 was 3.5 kg.
- The Nielson Company reported an estimated 47.7.3 Mkg of turkey and turkey products were purchased at retail by Canadians in 2021 (excluding deli products).
- Of that 47.7.3 Mkg, 36.5 Mkg of whole turkeys were purchased.
- In 2021, Canadian households consumed a total of 6.1 million whole turkeys.
- Annual sales of turkey parts and processed turkey products in Canadian supermarkets increased from 10.7 Mkg in 2017, to 11.2 Mkg in 2021 (excluding deli products).
- At Christmas 2021, 2.1 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 35% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.