Medicine Hat, Alta. – September 7, 2021 – UFCW Local 401 members working at Revera Meadowlands Retirement Residence in Medicine Hat, Alberta have achieved a new union contract that provides wage increases, improved benefits, and more.
Bargaining with Revera Meadowlands Retirement Residence was short and sweet, involving just over four days of negotiations.
“All of these employees worked so hard taking care of Medicine Hat’s most vulnerable citizens during the COVID-19 pandemic, and they continue to keep the residents healthy and safe,” says Ricardo de Menezes, UFCW Local 401’s Southern Director.
Some of the highlights of the new three-year collective agreement include:
- A 2 percent raise every year, as well as an additional $1.00 in year one, $0.50 in year two, and $0.50 in year three.
- The above increase officially starts all newly hired employees at least $1.00 per hour over minimum wage.
- A 2 percent wage increase for Licensed Practical Nurses.
- Vision care benefits, which are very rare in this industry.
- A 30-minute union orientation with no company presence.
- A lifting of the cap of the number of shop stewards allowed in the home.
- The preservation of students maintaining seniority when they go back to school and want to come back and work shifts during breaks.
“This agreement is a positive advancement for the workers at Meadowlands,” states de Menezes. “The committee was steadfast in their demands for a fairer compensation package for employees and improved benefits. We thank them for their determination in getting us there.”
To read more about the new union contract at Revera Meadowlands, click here.
UFCW 401 is Alberta’s largest private-sector union, with over 32,000 members working in food processing, retail, education, health care, hospitality, and security services across the province. To learn more about UFCW 401, visit the Local Union’s website.
How can I enjoy the benefits of a UFCW contract?
Are you a non-unionized worker who would like to enjoy the benefits of a UFCW Canada collective agreement? Do you and your co-workers want to gain the union advantage at work? Join Canada’s best union, UFCW Canada, and make your workplace better today. Click here to join now.