Food retail members at Red River Co-op secure gains – UFCW 832
Winnipeg – December 29, 2020 – Hundreds of UFCW Local 832 members working at Red River Co-op have achieved a new union contract that provides wage gains, premium increases, and more.
After a full week of in-store voting, members working at Red River Co-op voted “Yes!” to their new collective agreement. This five-year contract will expire in August 2025.
“I am incredibly proud of this bargaining committee,” says UFCW 832 Director of Operations Marie Buchan. “They’ve worked so hard to stand up for their fellow members’ needs during this difficult year,” she adds.
The new collective agreement brings a variety of improvements, including:
- Improvements to part-time employee breaks;
- Full-time employees have the option to go from 37 to 40 hours per week. New full-time positions going forward will be 40 hours per week;
- Part-time employees with more than 25 years of seniority only have to work two evenings per week;
- Full-time employees with more than 25 years only have to work one evening per week;
- An increase to full-time staff;
- Vacation options for part-time employees;
- A $2.00 per hour wage increase over the life of this agreement for those at top rate and overscale;
- Wage increases of over 7 percent to the wage scales, increases every 500 hours, and an increase to premiums.
The new rate of pay will be retroactive to August 21, 2020 and will be paid out in a lump-sum to members on an upcoming paycheque. To read more about the new union contract at Red River Co-op, click here.
UFCW Canada Local 832 is Manitoba’s largest private sector union, representing over 18,000 members in a wide range of industries. To learn more about the outstanding work of UFCW 832, visit the Local Union's website.
How can I gain the benefits of a UFCW contract?
Are you a non-unionized worker who would like to enjoy the benefits of a UFCW Canada collective agreement? Do you and your co-workers want to gain the union advantage at work? Join Canada’s best union, UFCW Canada, to make your workplace better today. Click here to join the union now.