Shawinigan, Que. – October 28, 2022 — UFCW Local 500 is glad to announce the ratification of a new contract by IGA Extra Shawinigan workers. The new collective agreement will begin at the signature on October 20, 2022, and will be in place until June 2028.
“Congratulations to all our members for this new agreement, particularly to the members that sat with the employer to take part in the negotiation. Your voice is important and allows you to improve your conditions, and to have your rights at work respected”, declares UFCW Local 500 President, Antonio Filato.
This new agreement comes with a reshuffle of the wage scales in the first year that will see raises of 14% for the butchers and 12% for the clerks and apprentice butchers. Furthermore, the workers that are progressing in the wage scales will continue to beneficiate of a raise every 650 worked hours during the first two years of the contract. This means that a full-time worker will obtain up to three salary raises per year. After which, the progressions will be every six months, no matter how many hours worked.
Our members from UFCW Local 500 will also obtain many improvements, including:
- The creation of 16 regular positions;
- The increase of all premiums and the addition of a premium of $1 per hour for the pastry/cook position;
- The increase of the Christmas bonus from 0,5% to 2% of the previous year’s income, based on seniority;
- The improvement of the vacation ratio;
- The addition of a 4th floating day-off;
- The improvement of the number of hours for sick paid days that can reach 56 hours, based on seniority;
- More flexibility in the part-time workers’ availability.
More than 35,000 UFCW Local 500 members work at over 650 locations in Quebec. To find out more about the outstanding work of UFCW 500, visit the Local Union’s website.
How can I gain the benefits of a UFCW contract?
Are you a non-unionized worker who would like to enjoy the benefits of a UFCW Canada collective agreement? Do you and your co-workers want to gain the union advantage at work? Join Canada’s best union, UFCW Canada, to make your workplace better today. Click here to join the union now.