Sherbrooke, Que. – November 27, 2018 – UFCW Canada Local 500 members working at WIPTEC in Sherbrooke, Quebec have recently achieved a new collective agreement. WIPTEC employs over 200 UFCW Canada Local 500 members who work as general labourers, forklift operators and inventory managers for the full service shipping company.
The recently-ratified agreement features wage increases ranging from 9% to 19% in the first year to 22% to 35% by the end of the contract’s duration.
The contract also features:
- An increase in the evening premium to $0.50/hour;
- An increase in the night premium to $0.60/hour;
- The addition of a trainer’s premium of $0.75/hour per hour worked for a guaranteed minimum of two hours;
- An increase in the safety boot premium to $100;
- Five holidays are now converted to floating holidays;
- An additional sick day after one year of service;
- Overtime offered by seniority;
- A fourth week of vacation after 10 years of service. In addition, a fifth week is added after 18 years of service;
- The creation of a new part-time status;
- Improved distribution of hours; and
- A new minimum wage protection clause.
“I am proud of this new contract which was bargained in a very constructive and respectful manner,” says UFCW Local 500 President Antonio Filato. “I would like to acknowledge the hard work of the bargaining committee for achieving a contract that secures jobs and improves wages significantly,” Brother Filato adds.
UFCW Canada Local 500 represents over 37,000 members across Quebec working in almost every sector of the economy. To learn more about UFCW 500 and its outstanding work, visit www.tuac500.com.