Mississauga, Ont. – August 24, 2020 – UFCW Local 102 members working at the Rivlin Medical Group pain management clinic have built a better life by achieving a new union contract that provides wage gains, new benefits, and more.
The Rivlin members work as administrative staff and Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) at the clinic, which provides medical services for managing chronic pain that tends to resist standard pain management. The health care members recently ratified their first collective agreement after joining UFCW 102 earlier this year.
Negotiations with Rivlin Medical Group began in February and focused on securing strong anti-harassment language and respect in the workplace – two major concerns that were raised by the membership during the organizing drive and contract proposal meeting.
Under their new union contact, members at Rivlin will enjoy the following improvements:
- Hourly wage increases across all wage classifications in every year of the contract. A three-dollar rate increase takes effect with ratification;
- The employer will reimburse health and wellness expenses incurred by employees and their immediate family members on a yearly basis;
- The new agreement contains detailed, all-inclusive language addressing all forms of harassment, including harassment based on sexual orientation or disability;
- Significantly improved vacation entitlements based on years of service;
- A yearly paid personal floating holiday, as well as sick leave, bereavement leave, compassionate leave, domestic or sexual violence leave, and personal leave; and
- Strong language that secures bargaining unit job security by limiting contracting out and the use of temporary agencies and protecting against the displacement of workers if new technologies are introduced.
Based in Hamilton, Ontario, UFCW Canada Local 102 represents over 5,000 members working in the hotel, hospitality, and service industries, as well as other sectors of the economy. To learn more about UFCW Local 102 and its outstanding work, visit the Local Union’s website.
How can I gain the benefits of a UFCW contract?
Are you a non-unionized worker who would like to enjoy the benefits of a UFCW Canada collective agreement? Do you and your co-workers want to gain the union advantage at work? Join Canada’s best union, UFCW Canada, and make your workplace better today. Click here to join now.