Montreal – February 13, 2020 – UFCW Local 500 members working at the Four Seasons Hotel Montreal have achieved an innovative first contract that provides wage increases and new paid leave days to nearly 300 employees at the prestigious downtown hotel.
Prior to negotiations, departmental meetings were held for two months to define the members’ demands. At the meetings, workers were able to exchange views and test new ways of doing things, which later found their way into the collective agreement.
When it came time for ratification, UFCW Local 500 Negotiators Michel Thivierge and Nil Ataoqul presented the draft agreement to members over the course of two days, during which workers had a chance to conduct individual meetings and voice their concerns.
Under the newly ratified collective agreement, members will enjoy the following improvements to working conditions:
- Wages will increase by 15 percent over three years;
- Starting in July 2020, the employer will contribute 3 percent of weekly wages to the Solidarity Fund of Quebec’s Federation of Labour (FTQ), and this contribution will rise to 5 percent in 2021 and 8 percent in 2022;
- Two paid leave days will be added during the life of the agreement;
- An excellent personal/sick leave clause will be added, starting with four days in the first year and rising to eight during the life of the agreement; and
- The employer will apply the Four Seasons group insurance program throughout the life of the contract.
“The unionized workers at this prestigious new hotel chose UFCW 500 because they knew our reputation for negotiating progressive contracts that meet the needs of hospitality workers,” says UFCW Local 500 President Antonio Filato. “That resulted in a strong and innovative first agreement for members at the Four Seasons Hotel Montreal,” he adds.
UFCW Local 500 represents over 35,000 members working at more than 675 companies across the province of Quebec. To learn more about UFCW 500 and its outstanding work, visit the Local Union’s website.
How can I enjoy the benefits of a UFCW contract?
Are you a non-unionized worker who would like to enjoy the benefits of a UFCW Canada collective agreement? Do you and your co-workers want to gain the union advantage at work? Join Canada’s best union, UFCW Canada, and make your workplace better today. Click here to join now.