Joliette (Que.) – August 3, 2019 – UFCW Canada Local 500 members working at Metro Bélair in Joliette have ratified a new collective agreement with a number of gains for the 158 cashier assistants, clerks, butchers, fish counter attendants and assistant department managers at the location.
Local 500 has represented members at Metro Bélair since 1970. Some of the gains and improvements in the newest contract include:
- Wage increases of 12% over the course of the agreement for workers at the top of the wage scales;
- 16 hours of occasional leave increased from10 hours for eligible part-time workers;
- The union will become the administrator of the group insurance policy;
- Eligibility for short-term lave (unemployment, sickness) will be changed;
- Supervisor premiums will rise from 75 cents to $1 an hour;
- Christmas season bonuses will be awarded over the course of the agreement;
- Management replacement premiums will rise.
“I am delighted for our members and their new agreement,” said Antonio Filato, President of UFCW Local 500. “The bargaining team showed solidarity and once again demonstrated our commitment to maintaining quality jobs and improving conditions for our members. Congratulations to all of you, and thank you for putting your trust in us since 1970!”
UFCW 500 represents more than 37,000 members at over 675 workplaces in Quebec. To learn more about the outstanding work of UFCW 500, visit their website.
How can you gain the benefits of a UFCW contract?
Are you a non-unionized worker who would like to enjoy the benefits of a UFCW Canada collective agreement? Do you and your co-workers want to gain the union advantage at work? Join Canada’s best union, UFCW Canada, and make your workplace better today. Click here to join now.