Vaughan, Ont. – May 17, 2019 – Wage increases and the introduction of a retirement package are among the many gains achieved by UFCW Local 1006A members working at Springhill Suites by Marriott Toronto/Vaughan.
The new contract runs until 2023 and was negotiated by UFCW 1006A Union Representative Joe Blythe, with the support of members Sivanithy Muthulingam and Taharchan Bisram.
“Hotel workers know they can count on UFCW Local 1006A to protect their rights and improve their livelihoods,” says Wayne Hanley, President of UFCW 1006A. “This new contract is a testament to the hard work and dedication of the negotiating committee,” he adds.
Highlights of the new collective agreement include:
- Gender neutral language;
- The introduction of one paid floating day in 2020 and a second one in 2022;
- Wage increases of 12 percent over the term of the contract;
- Part-time workers will receive the same statutory holidays and vacation allowance as full-time workers;
- Increases to health and welfare contributions from the employer;
- Health and safety training will be provided through the Workers’ Health and Safety Centre;
- The introduction of a retirement package for all employees; and
- An additional 25 cents per hour for housekeeping staff effective year one. In less than three years, housekeeping, laundry, and houseperson staff will reach $18 per hour.
UFCW Canada Local 1006A represents 36,000 members in a wide range of sectors across Ontario, including the grocery retail, food processing, hospitality, laundry, warehousing, transportation, and eye care industries. To learn more about UFCW 1006A, visit their website.
How can I enjoy the benefits of a UFCW contract?
Are you a non-unionized worker who would like to enjoy the benefits of a UFCW Canada collective agreement? Do you and your co-workers want to gain the union advantage at work? Join Canada’s best union, UFCW Canada, and make your workplace better today. Click here to join now.