Granby, Que. – April 4, 2019 – UFCW Canada Local 1991P members working at the Cascades plant in Granby, Quebec have achieved a new union contract that provides higher wages, better benefits, and more time off.
The 150 operators and labourers at Cascades produce toilet paper, tissue, and paper towel products. After fifteen sessions of hard bargaining with the employer, members at the plant will enjoy the following gains:
- Hourly wage increases ranging from $2.00 to $3.35;
- Three new personal leave days, two new sick days, and two new statutory holidays;
- Enrollment in the UFCW Quebec Dental Plan;
- Group insurance with an employer contribution of 68 percent (amounting to an additional wage increase of $1.00 per hour); and
- Union recognition and time off for union activities, as well as a union office.
“We are very proud that we were able to negotiate such good working conditions for the new members at Cascades,” says Mario Maisonneuve, President of UFCW Local 1991P. “The solidarity of the membership helped the bargaining committee meet its goals, and we would like to thank the members for standing strong during bargaining,” he adds.
UFCW Local 1991P represents over 5,600 members working at 60 companies across Quebec. To learn more about UFCW 1991P, visit their website.
How can I gain the benefits of a UFCW Canada collective agreement?
Are you a non-unionized worker who would like to enjoy the benefits of a UFCW collective agreement? Do you and your co-workers want to gain the union advantage at work? Join Canada’s best union, UFCW Canada, and make your workplace better. Click here to join now.