Shawinigan, Que. – January 20, 2015 – After voting to join UFCW Canada Local 1991P late last year, workers at the Jardins du Campanile retirement home in Shawinigan, Quebec recently secured their first union contract. The new Local 1991P members work as resident care attendants, maintenance employees, cooks, servers, nursing assistants, and janitors. Their first union contract contains several provisions that will greatly benefit members, including:
- Employees will be entitled to eight statutory holidays and two floating holidays.
- Full-time employees will be entitled to two days of sick leave, part-time and casual employees will receive compensation for sick leave, and by the time the collective agreement expires, the number of sick leave days will increase to four with compensation for part-time and casual employees rising as well.
- Employees who have at least four years seniority will be entitled to three weeks of vacation per year, and those who have at least ten years seniority will be entitled to four weeks of vacation.
- The group insurance plan will be maintained, and both the employer and employees will contribute equally to the plan.
- Night shift workers will receive a $0.60 per hour premium.
"I would like to congratulate the Jardins du Campanile members on obtaining their first union contract, and thank the bargaining committee and Union Representative Sébastien Ricard for a job well done," says UFCW Canada Local 1991P President Mario Maisonneuve. "Our union will proudly stand by the Jardins du Campanile members, and we are committed to providing them with excellent representation in the workplace," Brother Maisonneuve adds.