Montreal – September 4, 2014 – UFCW Canada Local 500 members employed at Provigo Décarie Mohamed Sbaihi have gained their very first collective agreement. The duration of the contract is from July 2014 to December 2018.
One of the highlights of the first agreement is a 2.5% pay increase for the first three years for members at the top of the wage grid, including two that are retroactive to December 2012 and December 2013. Further improvements include:
- Employer contributions to the UFCW dental plan for members in Quebec at the rate of $0.18 per hour for each worker;
- A minimum of four consecutive hours for every work day and a minimum of 10 consecutive hours of rest between each shift;
- A $50.00 per week premium paid to all employees who stand in for a department manager, an hourly $0.90 night shift premium, and an hourly $0.50 ‘‘in charge’’ shift premium for all vault supervisors;
- The posting of a regular position if, on average, a part-time worker does at least 35 hours of work a week for 10 consecutive weeks;
- If a part-time worker does six days of work during the same week, the sixth day shall be considered a weekly worked holiday and paid at the rate of time and a half;
- Every member who works for at least six hours during the same week in a position that is classified higher than their regular position will be entitled to an hourly $0.50 premium for each hour worked in this capacity.
‘‘This first collective agreement for the new members at Provigo Décarie clearly demonstrates the superiority of working conditions that are negotiated collectively. My hat is off to the entire bargaining team! Local 500 supports you and will ensure your better working conditions are enforced,” says Antonio Filato, UFCW Canada Local 500 President.